Re: Topband: How to measure the resonance of a tower?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How to measure the resonance of a tower?
From: DM4iM <hamradio@vr-web.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:10:38 +0100
Topbanders,
thanks for all the input.

Today i installed a shunt wire, a box with a vacuum C and the coax to
the shack. I have 12 radials so far, none of them is long enough, but
that is the best i can do for now.
I got an immediate success, after a bit tweaking the C the antenna
analyser showed a perfect and sharp swr after i lowered my 1/2 wave
dipole and disconnected it from the tuner.
Then i realised that i had forgotten to connect the base/ground of the
tower to the radials/shield of coax.

When connected, the analyser showed a much flater swr-curve and a
minimum swr abt. 1.9:1

Should i be happy? Will this improve with more radials?
Should i ommit the connection to the base of the tower? How will this
radiate?

Martin DM4iM
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK