Topband: shunt fed tower (was: How to measure the resonance of a tower)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: shunt fed tower (was: How to measure the resonance of a tower)
From: DM4iM <hamradio@vr-web.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:47:17 +0100
Topbanders,

today i found that i need to ground both legs of my ladderline that
feeds my dipole to make it sort of invisible to the vertical.
Now, the swr-curve changes are small when i lower the dipole,
but i still don't get a match.

I had a discussion with a guy who has a similar setup as i have, he said
the capacitance of the SteppIR is too small because the
parasitic elements are floating. They are not connected to the boom,
so they don't contribute to the tophat.

Does anyone have a better idea than to bond the parasitic elements to
the boom?

Martin DM4iM
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK