Re: Topband: UNOCCUPIED BANDWIDTH

To: Bill and Liz McHugh <magoo@isp.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: UNOCCUPIED BANDWIDTH
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:17:33 -0500
250 Hertz with a K3 is quite narrow.  I open up to my 450 Hz 8 pole
(marketed as 400), and unless I'm desperate, leave a hole alone if I can't
put runs above and below fairly well down the skirts.  That said,
encroachment that only the 350 Hz 8 pole (marketed as 250) will handle is
getting to be almost standard.  We are not yet at the point of needing a
true 250 Hz 8 pole filter.

Listening at 100 Hz bandwidth will often just find the space between two
stations separated by 400-500 Hz.

When you find a "hole" best to find its center and width by extending WIDTH
control until you can just barely hear the stations above and below. 200 Hz
"holes" are not really opportunities.

73, Guy.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Bill and Liz McHugh <magoo@isp.ca> wrote:

> Normally in the CQ160CW contest there is a wall of NA signals across the
> band.  But this year I found many frequencies which appeared to be
> unoccupied.
>
> I dropped onto a few of these, sent QRL several times and nobody responded.
>  I sat on some of these frequencies just listening and nobody appeared for
> minutes at a time.  Eventually somebody showed up, sent QRL and went to
> work.  This happend both Friday and Saturday nights all up and down the
> band.
>
> Initially, I discovered these "holes" with the K3's bandwidth set at 100 hz
> but then I opened it up to 150, 200, 250 and still nobody was there.  I
> found that a bit strange!
>
> Was the number of NA participants down this year?  Certainly the DX was out
> in force as I heard some 60 DX entities in my S&P over a few hours having
> fun.
>
> Anyone else notice a similar occurrence?
>
> Bill VE3CSK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK