Re: Topband: TB season

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: TB season
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:31:45 -0400
Hi,

When I first joined this list I mentioned having read articles by hams
who worked 160 with mobile radios with 10 to 50 watts output to *mobile*
antennas. They were not working the antipodes every day but they *were*
making mobile QSOs. I have a big chunk of wire that apparently favors
the general direction West. I have a small lot (100 X 100 feet) so I my
big hunk or wire (180 feet) is not straight. However...it is far
superior to a mobile antenna! Even with the present limitations I can
still work other stations. Sometimes stations that are a long way off to
the west.

Just like all the other bands, I'll listen to 160 from time to time to
see what might available. There are always surprises on the air. I
already know I am more likely to hear more stations farther away at
night, winter, etc. If I think there is any chance at all of even a more
local QSO I will put out a call.

Almost all of my old gear has failing caps and some out of spec
resistors. I have another batch of ordered and there will be another
round of improvement. I think I'll soon have my Johnson Ranger and my
DX-100 back on the air. Both have 160 and I'll be playing in the Top
Band sandbox again. Stew Perry again? Sweet.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK