Topband: Parasitic Elements with 160m Verticals (was radals fer 160m ver

To: <rfry@adams.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Parasitic Elements with 160m Verticals (was radals fer 160m vertcal)
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 22:55:00 -0400

>This link http://www.commtechrf.com/documents/nab1995.pdf leads to a paper
>by Clarence Beverage with some real-world results for monopoles with
>elevated wires used as a counterpoise.

Towards the end of the above reference mention was made of a Mexican BC
station using a slanting parasitic reflector (probably wire) in conjunction
with its vertical tower radiator.

Have Topbanders used parasitic elements?

Although a radiator with an electrical length of 0.25 wavelength worked
against a non-resonant ground system is common and successful, I believe
(I hope correctly) that in order to be to be effective parasitic elements
need to be close to 0.50 wavelength (+ or - thereof, depending on whether
reflecting or directing),at least electrically if not possible physically.

A practical solution suggests a parasitic element in an inverted vee
configuration in order to handle the considerable length (reducible with
lump loading) required to approach ~0.50 wavelength.

Commentary welcome!

73,

Charles, W2SH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK