Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions
From: Eduardo Araujo <er_araujo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:48:31 -0800 (PST)
Many thanks Dean, Carl, Mike, Joel and the rest of you who shared your opinions
about "why so many", probably I missed the point that 3 or 4 db in directivity
loss because of deeps is much more important that I figured out and that could
make a difference in a QSO or not.

Keep in mind that without considering a very few stations, being in LU land I
am really far away from all highly ham populated zones

About my second question...... no takers ??
I repeat it here again just in case.... I modified the text of the second test
for more clarity

Is there a meaninfull or simple way to determine if at my location is worth to
go from 600 to 900 feet?

I did some measurements
a) I injected a signal  into the beverage and using a current probe, I meassure
signal strength in an Smeter. (I paralelled the mA with the input of a
transceiver)

Variation was about 10db from begining to end of 900 feet. Curiously the 600
feet one gave me aprox same result but I recognize S meter granularity was not
good.

b) Listening to an AM broadcast with the back of the antenna, I disconnected
its termination resistance and the signal strength increased 8db.
Normal response from 900 feet Bev gives about 20db F/B in broacast band

Many thanks in advance to all.... Eddy, LU2DKT