Topband: Non-reciprocity of path and checking polarization

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Non-reciprocity of path and checking polarization
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:25:00 -0500
Here's some things to think about when we think we know polarization or polarization tilt, or non-reciprocal propagation or paths:

1.) When receiving, antenna response to the desired signal compared to antenna response to noise determines copy, NOT the gain or absolute signal level. An antenna with the best signal level is not often the antenna with the best signal level, so we cannot use readability as a determinant.

2.) Most simple vertically polarized antennas have good low angle response, and are vertically polarized in all directions. The exception is a small loop antenna, which is only perfectly vertical along the horizon off the radial direction of the loop. At all other angles it is a mix of polarization.

3.) Most horizontal antennas are mixed polarization, and are only perfectly horizontal off the broadside. The exception is properly built and installed small horizontally-polarized loop.

4.) When we mix antennas or compare antennas to determine polarization, each reference antenna has to be normalized to the same response level at the angle and direction of the arriving signal. If response (sensitivity) is different and we have no idea how different, then we have no idea of polarization tilt or rotation.

5.) When we compare signals to make a claim or study if a path is non-reciprocal, we have to precisely know the difference in signal field strength levels on two paths. We can't tell anything for certain if we are listening only to S/N (readability) or the antennas are optimal for polarization and wave angle.

I don't think there is much chance of resolving this into useful information, because Hams really don't even want to bother with simple field strength measurements of antenna changes. We live mostly by feelings, and don't generally want to be bothered with facts or science. :-)

Unless we know what to measure and how to measure it, and actually measure or compare something, we are just guessing.

73 Tom