Re: Topband: The Idiot's Guide To Bi-Directional Two-Wire Beverage Const

To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The Idiot's Guide To Bi-Directional Two-Wire Beverage Construction...
From: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:54:24 -0700
Eddy,

Here are the points I would make for and against zip cord for wire antennas in general and Beverages in particular. Your mileage (kilmeterage) may vary according to your needs, circumstances and applications.

1.  Zip Cord is great and not so great for wire antennas on these counts.

2. It is very flexible and great conductivity due to being constructed of multiple tiny copper strands.

3. It is not so great as to strength and cannot be put into long spans with lots of tension. It is easy to split if you want to make single wire Beverages.

4. It is IMO not a good value cost wise, as it is one of the more expensive methods of buying antenna wire.

5. It is great in that it is normally available in 250' rolls at any hardware store.

6. Critters LIKE all varieties of zip cord insulation. It is most often soft, chewy, and apparently very much to their palate's desire.

That said in generality, here is my experience with zip cord for 2-wire Beverages from the technical aspect.

All other things aside, if you compute the impedance of the particular type of zip cord you are going to use taking into account the size of the conductor, the spacing between the conductors, and the dielectric(insulation) used, AND THEN construct your transformers for both ends to match that impedance to what ever feed line impedance you are going to use, you will have EXCELLENT results when properly grounded at each end.

There is no 'optimum' distance between the wires. BUT the distance should remain constant so that the impedance remains constant through out the antenna's length.

Lots of things to comment on, BUT the generalities are here. The one best axiom is any Beverage is MUCH better than no Beverage. And the construction of a Beverage is VERY forgiving. Go for it and learn as you experiment.

Mis dos centavos, de Milt, N5IA

-----Original Message----- From: Eddy Swynar