Re: Topband: J6

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: J6
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 06:28:00 +1300
Hi Carl,

I was in e-mail contact with N7QT during his J6 operation, which finished a couple of days ago.

You are right, the antenna had to be shared with 160m and 80m, and for some reason could not be switched during the night. Hence, they had to commit to one band or the other before sundown.

I found the operation on 160 very spotty, almost not really serious. I guess it was mainly a holiday operation. I had several "skeds" with them. On one occasion the sked didn't happen because the other op decided he wanted 80m that night. On another occasion, they operated on 1837, up in the digital modes segment, and I didn't even tune as high as that. On the last night apparently their antenna fell down, and they found it on the ground in the morning. Apparently they thought the band was a bit quiet - I wondered to myself how it was that they didn't notice something wrong with the SWR!

All in all a bit of a non-event from my point of view.

73, Greg ZL3IX