Re: Topband: Delta loops antennas

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Delta loops antennas
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:43:25 -0800
Over the last decade I have experimented with a variety of loops: coax, delta,
diamonds, flags. The only real-estate available has been the roof of my house.
There is just no room on my city lot to accommodate a K9AY or beverages, let
alone a 4-square - much as I would like to have had the luxury of trying any of
them. My experience with a roof mounted FOØAAA quickly demonstrated that it
must be ground mounted. No surprise, ground dependent designs are just not
effective when elevated on a roof.

I've also tried a variety of toroidal cores for the loop matching transformer
with mixed results. A binocular core transformer, as described by W8JI and
others, finally made the large loops sound like real antennas.

I agree that the K6SE original QST paper and ON4UN's latest "Low Band DXing,"
book deserve study. George, AA7JV, also has demonstrated the effectiveness of a
variety of ground mounted loop configurations.

73 - Steve WB6RSE
It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatsoever
for supposing it is true. - Bertrand Russell