Re: Topband: Subject: Re: Why the DX doesn't always work split? Especial

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Subject: Re: Why the DX doesn't always work split? Especially on the low bands
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 07:43:03 -0500
On 12/22/2012 08:18 PM, Steve Ireland wrote:
On the 16 December, there was a nice opening into the eastern USA with
signals to S6, but the static and general atmospheric noise was about the
same level - a common phenomenon.  As it is summer in the southern half of
the world, it is REALLY noisy!  I ended up asking for heaps of repeats
mainly because of the noise.

Perhaps a comment from the other side of that same opening?

I called Steve a few times that morning but stopped because even with a 200 Hz filter and audio peaking it was difficult to hear when he came back to people through the callers. They were spread out some but it only takes a couple who call too long or with questionable/unfortunate timing to make things difficult when the DX is S7 and the callers are 20 to 30 over S9.

Steve had a relatively small pile (10 callers at a time?) of reasonably well behaved DXers. For me it was marginally OK working simplex but I very likely might have missed it once or twice had he come back to me. I heard Steve answer a few stations who did not copy him right away due to the other callers (I'm assuming, because there were others still calling and they subsequently seemed to hear him just fine when in the clear). That may have slowed his potential QSO rate somewhat but not drastically. With a few more callers or a couple who are particularly eager it can easily go from that to total chaos.

Of course there are times when there isn't enough space on the band for all DX with multiple callers to go split.

73,
Paul N1BUG
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.