Re: Topband: BOG Antenna Measurements

To: "Don Johnson" <n4dj@me.com>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG Antenna Measurements
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:51:47 -0500

I have been looking for information on BOGs and have not been able to find any info on measured impedance values. Other than they are low, depends on ground, etc. I thought I would relate my recent experience.

My own experience with 3 500' unidirectional BOGs over very poor ground is that a 220 Ohm resistor appears to be close to ideal for me. YMMV depending upon the ground and how close to the ground the BOG actually is. Mine mostly ride 3-6" above ground on low plants, twigs, etc. and thru the woods. These were installed to reduce crud pickup from neighbors in the belief that they are not as susceptible as the regular Beverages. Operation has shown them usually more beneficial crud reducers but not as good on real long haul DX.

The 73-202 cores are wound transformer style and not unun autotransformer versions; the reason is to minimize common mode using the normal suggested seperation of antenna and feedline grounds

I hope others share their observations.

Carl
KM1H
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.