Topband: Snap and seal connectors

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Snap and seal connectors
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:32:11 -0500

Questions about so called "water proof" connectors came up etc. As a result, I will include a few things which should be good practice because I discovered, for example, that everyone does not tape their connectors when they are out in the weather. Also, just because a dealer says a connector is "water proof" that may not mean water will not find its way in!

I never tape mine, and we never taped hundreds of thousands in the CATV/MATV industry.

http://www.scte.org/documents/pdf/standards/ANSISCTE602004IPSTP013.pdf

http://www.tnb.com/pubint/docs/snapnseal.pdf

As a standard practice, and from field experience, we flooded the center of the connector with clear silicon dielectric compound. A suitable material is readily available at almost any auto parts store as "Dielectric Tune Up Grease" in a silver squeeze tube.

The only places we externally sealed connectors were in underground applications or in pedestal boxes that flooded. In those cases we either used Teflon paste flooded rubber connector boots, or for permanent splices, flooded heat shrink. Those connectors were all O-ringed.

Nearly all connector water issues are improper installation. I've seen expensive "professionals" actually leave O-rings out of outdoor connectors!!

73 Tom
Topband Reflector