Topband: Receive antennas from 5X

To: <Davek4sv@yahoo.com>
Subject: Topband: Receive antennas from 5X
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:52:48 +0800
Hi Dave

Greetings from Western Australia!

I had a number of contacts on 160m with Paul Wyse 5X4F during the later half of
the 1990s.  Paul had a great signal on 160m with only a 240’ dipole at 36’, fed
with open wire, and 100W from a TS450S. He had no separate receiving antenna
but could hear very well.

Based on Paul’s success, my guess is that a dipole with as high central point
as you can get it is going to be the best rx and tx antenna from where you are.
 Unfortunately vertically polarised antennas aren’t always the best on 160m,
particularly when you are near the equator and the ground conductivity is
marginal.   Freshwater and mud can be quite disappointing in this regard.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

Topband Reflector