Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 122, Issue 15

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 122, Issue 15
From: Mark Connelly <markwa1ion@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:35:22 -0500 (EST)
Several years ago I did testing of broadband antennas for array use in an application for DXing on the AM broadcast band.

In the discussion below, numbers in brackets indicate footnotes that reference web links that follow.

At a salt-marsh site in Rowley, MA [1][2], I set up two verticals spaced 60 m / 200 ft. on a 82/262 degree axis with the idea of time-delay phasing to produce a broadband cardioid pattern with a null at about 262 degrees (roughly towards New York City, 340 km distant).

Then I swapped out the verticals for two figure-of-8 broadband loops, both positioned for 82/262 deg. peaks, 172/352 deg. side nulls.

The 3 m long active vertical whips were of homebrew design, functionally similar to MFJ model 1024 [3].

The 2 m per side square single-turn loops, also homebrew, feeding W7IUV-design amplifiers via balun, were functionally similar to Wellbrook model ALA1530 [4].

The major difference that was noticed was the loops picked up much higher levels of short skip at high vertical incidence angles as compared to low-angle DX and groundwave.

Because the vertical inherently suppresses short skip, it is a better choice. The problem about high angle skip is that its arrival time at each array element is closer to being simultaneous, thereby reducing the effective antenna spacing to perhaps half of what it is for signals coming in at 30 degrees or less above the horizon. The other tricky thing about shorter skip is that the phase and apparent direction bounce around a lot, especially at sunset and sunrise - times that are often the most useful for DX, whether on 160 m or the AM broadcast band.

I also did a test with a vertical as one element and the figure-of-8 loop as the other. If phaser-box gain was set to make the strength of a short to medium skip signal (distance 200-800 km) the same, it was noted that a long-haul DX or groundwave signal was about 6 dB better on the vertical than on the loop (assuming the station bearing was in/near the middle of one of the loop's two maximum-pick-up lobes).

For instance, if WPHT Philadelphia (1210 kHz, about 500 km) was step-attenuator-set to S-9 on both antennas shortly after sunset, Bordeaux, France (1206 kHz) was S-8 on the vertical and S-7 on the loop; UK over Spain (1215 kHz) was similar. Also, on 1210 with the vertical, there was more evidence of co-channel VOAR Newfoundland (at about 1500 km) competing with WPHT.

The loop-versus-vertical set-up could be used to produce a cardioid over a narrow bandwidth whereas loop-versus-loop or vertical-versus-vertical were suitable for desired front-to-back over a wider bandwidth.

In summation, testing showed that phasing two verticals was superior to phasing two figure-of-8 loops, largely because of the verticals' inherent reduction of signals coming in at 45 or more degrees above the horizon.

EZNEC plots have been done by Dallas Lankford, Neil Kazaross, and others to show that phasing two or more terminated (elongated) loops such as Flag, K9AY, etc. can produce excellent front-to-back ratio and good suppression of high-angle pick-up, perhaps comparable to using verticals as elements. An array comprised of four terminated-delta (Kaz) antennas, as used at a Norwegian DXpedition site, is described briefly at reference [5]. Somewhat more information can be found on IV3PRK's website [6]. A prior Topband post [7] mentions much other documentation (including circuit designs) formerly accessible on public websites. Unfortunately most of it has been migrated to Yahoogroups file sites requiring moderator access approval. As such, it wouldn't come up in Google searches.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA, USA

[1] http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/pictures1/rowley_antenna_layout_map.gif
[2] http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/rowley_ma.htm