Re: Topband: Broadband dipoles

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Broadband dipoles
From: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:20:41 -0000
Yes Tom, I was going to mention the polyprop guys as well. Worst stuff you can use. Well remember a 60' mast bent across my neighbours roof as a result of using polyprop guys which had degraded in UV. You get splinters of the stuff in your hands as well!

I use polyester (Terylene, Dacron, Trevira) for guys which seems pretty good. Nylon is super strong so I use it for halyards but it does have a fairly high stretch so not ideal for guys.

73
Tom G3OLB

W8JI wrote:
You mean this part of the SPX data sheet that screams "dummy load"?   :-)

"Tower guys are made of tough
polypropylene rope. The resistive terminations are
mounted in protective, ventilated containers."

(Polypropylene, unless some special UV inhibited stuff, is terrible in
sunlight. Nylon is much better. Polyproplene lasts about a year or two here,
while typical nylon lasts a dozen years)

Any antenna that says "no tuner required" and covers all frequencies with a
low SWR should raise the snake-oil caution flag.

Topband Reflector