Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 09:57:30 -0800
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 15:48:04 +0000
From: Paul Mclaren <paul.mcl@gmail.com>
To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use

<Interesting and an explanation why he doesn't respond to my calls from here in
NW Europe.  I had put it down to poor RX at his end due to high local noise
which I guess is part of the reason.

<Regarding SDR's I use a remote SDR situated in a nearby farmers field about
250 metres from my home QTH connected via a 5Ghz wifi link over the top of the
neighbours houses.  It offers two benefits over my own average RFI polluted
garden in the village, <the first being virtually zero noise floor and secondly
more space to put up RX antennas.  Just this weekend I connected up a 200 metre
long unterminated beverage which compared to my Wellbrook loop on 80m and 160m
is worlds apart and would have <been impossible in my own garden.

<I have this stated on my QRZ.com page and it is within the rules of most
contests regarding the radius in which the RX and TX must be located.  I just
see it as optimizing the RX of the station.

<Regards

<Paul MM0ZBH

##  IMO, what difference does it make whether  you have a SDR in a nearby
farmers field, 250 meters away....  vs  living on  20 acres of property and
also having  a beverage the same 250 meters away  ??   Thats semantics really.
Some folks are living on huge acerages, whereby the RX and TX ants could easily
be extreme distances apart, like several thousand feet.   I still cant hear
worth a damn on 160m on my postage stamp lot, and am seriously considering  a
remote sdr
on my daughters  11 acres.... waterfront property, on a cliff,  aprx  120 miles
north of me.   Heck,  I could put the TX there as well, easily done.  But just
having the SDR capability would enhance the RX end of things.   If she was 8
miles out of town,
on acerage, I would also consider it.   If I owned a few acres, outside of
town, I would also consider a SDR for rx.

##  But listening on a sdr in another country is absurd really.   VU2GSM
copying  VE6WZ.... via nearby VE6JYs  SDR takes the cake.    JY  +  WZ  are not
very far apart.   Whats next, me using a remote sdr  across town from
my favourite european  station ?     It would really enhance RX..and make for a
good ragchew.  Heck,  you could give them all  S9 ++  signal reports.   The
concept is sound, just dont claim it as dxcc credit.  Anyone could easily get
away
with it, and not get caught, but any card you receive would really be
meaningless.   You would only be fooling yourself.   Taken to the extreme,
remote sdrs could be used at both ends of the circuit.  At that point, I may as
well telephone VU2 land, since
I have free LD calling to that country.

Jim  VE7RF