Re: Topband: sdrWEB not going in my log

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: sdrWEB not going in my log
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:29 +0800
There is no way to supervise this behavior globally.  It's ultimately up to each op to decide on what falls under ethical conduct.  And opinions vary as to what is proper and what's not, even among peoples of a single country with similar cultural view.

I personally don't use receivers or antennas that are not located at my QTH - even though ARRL DXCC regulations make the use of an east-coast USA remote receiver point perfectly acceptable. However that's my choice and of course, compared to someone using that sort of arrangement is going to have a few more guys in the log that I may never hear which is part of the price I pay for the choice I have made.  However if another guy wants to take advantage of the rules allowing for a US-based remote receiver that is much closer to the other station, I really can't complaint because it's allowed explicitly by the rules and it's within their set of choices.  The example Peter lists of the webSDR pair is certainly possible in the modern world but that kind of QSO is not going to go into my log because I've decided that is not my personal sort of ham radio QSO.

Each of us has an obligation is to manage our own personal behavior within the scope of the official rules - what the rest of the ham world does is up to them.  In the end, each ham who looks at a prized QSL from a rare one, or who looks at the DXCC plaque on the wall with a count higher than their local competition, will know well what decisions they have made to get there.  And if they can live with the choices they have made, then I'm happy for them.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com