Re: Topband: How to determine impedance

To: Martin <dm4im@t-online.de>, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How to determine impedance
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 07:59:57 -0800
Another line Z measurement technique is with a scope and reasonably fast risetime (few nsec) pulse generator. Terminate about a 20' length of line with a variable non-inductive pot or carbon comp resistor selection and drive a pulse at the other end and adjust the resistance for minimum reflection at the drive point looking at the scope. At ~1 nsec per foot for the transmission line that should be about 40nsec from the pulse output. On a few hundred nsec long pulse the reflection will be a shelf higher or lower on the original pulse. With no shelf, the resistance value is the line Z. Maybe not as accurate as a network analyzer (didn't have one) but worked well enough in the digital data transmission world for me.

Grant KZ1W