Topband: K3LR Pl-259 connector technique

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: K3LR Pl-259 connector technique
From: Scott Meister via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 19:27:09 -0500
I would recommend that you watch Tim’s FB presentation on his PL-259 technique.
 I found it to be great and makes a good connection and does not run the risk
of compromising the workings inside the connector after soldering.  In Graduate
school i cut some apart and never felt comfortable after seeing what
essentially a “thin section” looked like.  Like a weld, you can have a pretty
one that is bad, and a very ugly weld that is quite good structurally.

I have scanned these connections and the impedance bump is negligible.

I have visited his station and there must be hundreds and hundreds of these
connectors.

The shrink wrap also makes for a tidy looking connector.

I crimp as well many connections.  I have also used the new DX Engineering
crimp/solder connectors and find them to be a “better mouse trap” in the crimp
arena.  I like the physical strength of a crimp on the braid and a solder of
the center conductor which is essentially what their new connectors are.

vy 73 and best DX

Scott
K2CUB/8