Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question - Part 2

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question - Part 2
From: Todd Goins <tgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:06:50 -0800
Thanks again everyone. I've read all your suggestions and advise and
although I won't be able to make some of the more difficult (or impossible
at my site) changes there are a few things I'm willing to try.

I read the w0btu.com webpage and I'm not really that far off from that
setup. Minus that tuning network. I'll order some FT240-31 ferrites to make
the feedline choke. Looks easy enough.  I have my elevated radials (135'
long) at about 10' above ground now, like the website describes. The
feedpoint is a little bit higher than that. The website does not say (or I
didn't see it) how high the feedpoint should be. Is 10'-12' okay? I can
easily move that higher and then the radials would slope downward from the
connection point.

Also, my total wire length is not 155', it is more like 135'. I'll add 20'
of length while waiting for the ferrites to arrive.  If this makes a huge
difference I'll be shocked and pleased. It works so poorly now compared to
the 43' version that except for my desire not to have this thing beat me it
really doesn't seem worth the effort. Last night I was easily coast to
coast from Seattle. East coast stations on PSK reporter were hearing me
well. I was heard in the Faulklands and in JA with the 43' antenna. With
the 100' version I was barely making it to Colorado!

I'm looking closely at a couple of BCB filters to help clean up my receive
situation too. I'd like to be able to use my antenna analyzer to get some
usable data.

I'm just frustrated that this thing stinks so badly and the 43' model that
I frankly threw together in about a day just for the ARRL 160 CW contest
has worked 45 states and some DX in almost no time but the 100' has worked
essentially nothing at all.  It looks more impressive though. Ugh!

I will keep providing updates and listen to any advise provided. Until I
wad the thing up into a ball...

73,
Todd - NR7RR