Re: Topband: ARRL WW DX-CW Contest at W3HKK - just dabbled on 160 here.

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL WW DX-CW Contest at W3HKK - just dabbled on 160 here.
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:46:33 +0000
Those are motivating numbers! You must have been might tired to fall
asleep with so many callers. :)

I started on 160 but only worked a couple of Caribbean stations.
Nothing copied from EU so I migrated to 80 ( not much) then 40, and
finally to modulate the pillow.

Last October I built a home brew 10M Moxon. using all left over
plastic and aluminum. Its an ugly looking, tilted/slightly twisted
thing ( holes drilled by "eye" and the eyes arent that accurate
anymore!) but it works like gangbusters. Its on a 15 ft mast on the
back patio, turned by the Armstrong Method.

After an 8am start on 20m at my sunrise, I jumped to 10 since it was
almost as busy and has a lot more elbow room. Wound up with 479 qsos
in 11 hrs OTA, including 73 JA's, two DU's and one YJ plus a half
dozen VK/ZL, nine KH6's and 8 KL7's. Overall the northern latitudes
were ample, but not much from the equatorial regions or below. More
Russian/Ukrainian stations that in recent past.

10M kept me busy all morning and for two hours around sunset. I had
hoped to find more success on 160/80 and esp. on 40 into JA/VK - but
not much doing.

The Moxon is so close to the shack that when I beam JA ( through the
shack) the rf keeps knocking my mouse offline, forcing me to pull the
usb plug out and then reinsert. It corrects the problem until I
transmit again. However I have better success when Im beaming EU, AF,
SA and due west to the Pacific. Something about JA.... but at least I
know the Moxon has some directionality.

Speaking of JA ( and your music) I found a youtube video of Sing Sing
Sing, played by an all Japanese Big Band. Very enjoyable! Musicians
average age looked to be 65-70 but they were having fun! Complete with
a few beards goutees and snappy mustaches. All in white suits!