Tower Block

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower Block
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 21:52:48 -0500
>How valuable does anyone find the tower block mounted at the base of
>a tower and used to make the vertical rope pull a horizontal one?
>
>It seems that whenever I am hauling something up a tower it is nice
>to be able to stop, or sometimes I have to stop, and then it's
>advantageous to tie/wrap the rope around a tower rung to hold the
>load for a while.  Using a tower block to make a horizontal pull some
>distance away from the tower would not allow me to tie off the rope
>if I had to.  Instead I would have to walk the rope in towards the
>tower first.
>
>73, Dave WX3N

It depends on what you are pulling up. If it is something lightweight, and
well secured to the rope, and if I was the only puller; I would just pull it
up vertically making sure I can easily control it as I go. You should always
wear a hardhat under those circumstances.

But when you are pulling something heavier that requires several pullers; it
is much easier to get multiple bodies lined up pulling horizonal than
vertical. We also make a point of having the last person pulling the slack
at the end of the rope around a tree or stump for control. This lets the
crew take short rest breaks from pulling. Also, if something lets go up
above, the crew is well out of the way.

At least that's how we have always done it in the past.

73, Richard - K5NA
K5NA@BGA.COM