Rohn shackles/T-Bars

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn shackles/T-Bars
From: aa7bg@initco.net (AA7BG Matt Trott)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:00:51 -0600
Can anyone tell me why Rohn would advise (in their catalog) using 3/8
shackles with their torque bar guy package.  I guess my pea-brain just
doesn't understand how some of this stuff is rated. Let's say you're using
1/4" EHS guy cable. This is rated at 6700#. Now if you use the 3/8 shackles
at the torque bars isn't this a "weak" link.  Near as I have been able to
find out, these shackles are "rated" at 2000#! I've tried 1/2" shackles, but
the pins are too big to go thru the hole in the torque bar.  The reason I
don't just slip the thimble thru the torque bar is that I'm using P-stran
which requires oversize thimbles.  I really, really, really doubt that the
3/8" thimbles would ever break, but I just don't understand the rating
differentials of 6700# vs. 2000#. It just bugs me, man.
AA7BG                      aa7bg@3rivers.net                Matt Trott