Thrust bearings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Thrust bearings
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 03:06:54 -0700
At 09:22 AM 6/12/96 -0700, Gary Nieborsky wrote:
>There are alternatives for thrust bearings if you don't want to go the Rohn
>route.  First let me say this:  I use TB-3's for my bearings and never had
>any problems.  Mine came without zerks but that got fixed right away.

Interesting -- the local tower pro warned me off the TB-3 as mechanically
unreliable.  Instead, he suggested the pointy-top section (this is Rohn 25)
with *no bearing at all*.  Granted, my installation is under-stressed, but
it has been no problem at all so far, except for one ice storm when nobody's
antennas were turning.  If/when I have to pull the rotor, I plan to pry the
mast up and tighten the setscrew that is part of the pointy-top.  Sure is a
lot cheaper than a thrust bearing and/or a second accessory plate.
73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com