Masts and stacking considerations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Masts and stacking considerations
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:34:13 -0400
Bryan-

I considered the hi-strength mast route, then changed my mind in favor
of a sidemount. The cost is comparable, but the advantages of being
able to climb to the feedpoint of the top antenna, as well as turn
the two antennas independently, convinced me. I'm not sure this
advice applies well to your situation, though, as the 3-element 40
is much bigger than the 40-2CD I'm using with the sidemount. Also,
the sidemount provides 300 degrees rotation, leaving a 60 degree
hole. For a 40-2CD, being 30 degrees off is only a 1.5 dB loss
of forward gain; but the forward gain los on a narrower pattern
may be more significant.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com