Mast support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Mast support
From: mraz@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz AA5UO)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 07:44:23 -0500
Chris R. Burger, ZS6EZ, wrote:

> Because of the absence of any lateral play in the mast, alignment is
> pretty critical.  However, it's a small price to pay.  I have the
> ability to remove rotators without moving the mast, as there's a
> short piece of stub mast between the rotator and the main mast.  The
> joint can be removed, after which the rotator comes out without any
> hassle.  The mast remains supported by the bearings.

Here's another tip that I've discussed with Dick, K5IU: If you make
the stub mast you refer to out of aluminum tube at least 10 ft. long it will
act as a torsional shock absorber. Since you are using dual thrust bearings
there is no chance of it bending, as you've pointed out.

> A new idea that's being incorporated in my new station's design is
> to use two concentric masts.  The inner mast has a concentric
> rotator, while the outer mast has a motorcycle drive sprocket to an
> offset rotator.  This way, you can have an independently rotatable
> top antenna without much additional cost.  The rest of the stack is
> turned through the motorcycle chain.

What a fabulous idea.

Kris AA5UO
mraz@aud.alcatel.com