More tramming advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: More tramming advice
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:32:32 -0400
<< While I was in the business for 12 year, we used the tramming system every
chance <we could.  Often it was not possible, as you well know.  I learned
alot with that <technique, but the most valuable lesson concerns its
limitations.  With a large heavy <antenna, the stress on the tower is huge
and must be considered.  Back guying is <always needed.  I would hesitate
using the system for a 3 Element 40M beam or any <very large antenna.  There
are better ways to deal with the monsters that are much <safer.  I think the
tram scheme is great for modest antennas.

      Very good advice which is covered in my article.  I prefer a crane or
helicopter for big loads.

<I recall the day we used the tram for a 6el 20M monster.  The pull up rope
was being <handled by a garden tractor.  All went fine until the beam arrived
at the tower, but the <driver didn't know that and kept hauling---the tractor
noise was higher than the <screams.

      And the drivers back was to the load I'll bet.  A doubly unsafe
technique.

73,  Steve   K7LXC