M-Square/Emoto Rotator Experience?

To: <>
Subject: M-Square/Emoto Rotator Experience?
From: (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 12:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
I'm setting up two remotely operated ground stations for work and need a
heavy-duty azimuth and elevation rotator combination for the multi-antenna
satellite array that will get a lot of use (in one instance there are 14
LEO passes per day)..

I've looked closely at the M2 OR-2800 and MT-3000A combination and am
concerned about its repeatability...that's to say "will it know where it
is and return to the same spot every time".  I've heard that because it
uses a pulse counting system, it can lose track of where it is. In my
circumstance (a remotely controlled operation) that'd be a serious
problem.  On the plus side, the M2 combination can move almost anything I
throw at it!

The alternative is the Emoto.  This appears to be a beefier version of the
Kenpro/Yaesu rotors.  But they are analog controlled (I want to run the
rotors from a Unix box), and I have yet to see anyone in this area with

I'd appreciated your comments on and experiences with either rotor!!

Please email them directly and I'll summarize...

Eric  WD3Q