Trapless antennas/ICE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Trapless antennas/ICE
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 09:39:02 -0500 (CDT)
Question guys....

What is the issue with ice loading on a linear loaded antenna, or a
trapless antenna?  Out here in Kansas, we can get up to 2 inches of ice
several yeares ago, had a kt34XA and the ice destroyed it.  Knocked
off all the linear loading aluminum stubs.  And, the ice storm was
not a big one....about 1/2 inche of ice on the beam.

Also, the tuning went to heck too earlier than the loading went to
heck on a trap beam a couple of miles away under the same conditions.

Back in the 80s, I had a TH7DX up in the air that got loaded with
2 inbches of ice.  IT worked the whole time.  The thing looked like
a centipede with all the elemenet bent in a "U."  And the thing
cam out of it when the ice melted.

I would like to see some discussion concerning ice loading on these
linear loaded ... trapless...antennas.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net