KLM KT34A CORROSION PROBLEM -Reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: KLM KT34A CORROSION PROBLEM -Reply
From: DOYLEPS@LAKEHURST.NAVY.MIL (PAT DOYLE)
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 12:12:11 -0400
Don't create a dissimilar metal circuit.  If you
do, you'll just aggravate the corrosion problem,
especially in a salt water environment.

I don't recall the specifics of the problem;
however, I would bet that the fasteners (screws,
nuts and/or washers) were galvanically different
from what they were connecting, resulting in
corrosion.  Pop riveting, as suggested by Tony
Brock-Fisher, may not be the best of ideas.

I recommend choosing similar metals for all
fasteners and tubing, or make sure that all parts
are electrically isolated to prevent a galvanic
couple.  Then, seal all connections with
non-corrosive,  non-conductive, outdoor silicone
(other resin bases could work as well) sealer.

This method will prevent an "on-site" and
"environmental" corrosion instigation.

There are quite a number of good (helpful and
informative to those who care; cure for insomniacs
for those that don't) books relating to metallic
corrosion.  Most of them are not cheap (above $75)
and are written for undergraduate engineering
education level.  Well worth the investment for
those buying/maintaining expensive metallic
things.  I could provide information to those
interested.

73 de Pat, KA2GSL