PRO-67C, Any Comments?

To: <>
Subject: PRO-67C, Any Comments?
From: (
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 03:12:48 -0400
>I am putting up new antennas, and I am seriously considering the PRO-67C.
>Gain on all bands ('cept for 30, but it works there) 40-10. I realize that
>its heavy, but I would have it all covered with one skyhook.
Hi, Bill --

        I've been a professional tower and antenna installer since 1982 and
have worked on over 100 amateur stations in western Washington.  I write "Up
The Tower" in CQ Contest magazine; before that for over 4 years in the NCJ.
 Also am a contester and former National Sales Manager for Hy-Gain Amateur
Products.  I presented a paper at the Dayton contest forum this year on
"building a one tower station".
     Having said that, I do not recommend the bigger Mosley antennas to
anyone.  While they have robust mechanical designs and decent SWR, their
performance is not on a level with the TH7DX or KT34XA.  The patterns are
"soft" (read little or no FB or FS) and few competitive contesters have them
in their arsenal.  After my presentation above, a guy came up and asked me
why I didn't recommend Mosley antennas.  I told him that that was the reason;
I didn't recommend the Mosleys.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy
of my article that the Dayton presentation was based on.  Send me your postal
address and I'll be happy to send you a copy.  BTW, there are two local guys
that would be willing to give you a bargain on a PRO67; I can give you their
phone numbers.  BTW, the performance, or lack of, is why they are selling
     Their performance doesn't have anything to do with the myriad problems
of being a small business.
     The compromises and deficiencies of multiband trapped antennas are
becoming more clear.  With trapless multiband antenna designs such as the
Force 12 and others, I predict that the era of trapped antennas is coming to
a close.  The lid is being lowered on the coffin of trapped antennas.  BTW,
this year is the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the TH6DX.       73,
 Steve  K7LXC