Hygain/USAF Tower Info Needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Hygain/USAF Tower Info Needed
From: steve@austin.ibm.com (Steve Runyon WQ5G 512-838-7008)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 19:13:34 -0600
I recently came across a tower that fit my budget (in other words free if
I would just take it down). It now resides in my back yard thanks
to the wonderful help of George, WB5VZL who very generously did
most of the work in taking it down. However, it is currently
horizontal and I really want to get it vertical - hi!

I have so far been unable to find anyone familiar with this tower, and would
appreciate any help from someone who might have any info on this
model and hopefully some specs on it.

It apparently was made by Hygain for the US Air Force, and I was told it
was in Alaska at some point, later being given to a MARS outfit in
central Texas. It eventually found its way into the hands of a local
fellow who mounted it behind his garage for his young son to use back in the
late '60s or early '70s.

There is an id plate on the base which reads:
ASSY
Model No CS1   Serial No 4
made for USAF SS
Contract No AF-30(635) - 36645
Hygain Electronics Mfg Corp
NE Highway 6. Lincoln, Nebraska

Unfortunately Hygain apparently since underwent bankruptcy as well as a
flood and has no info on the tower; nor does anyone there remember this
model.

It is fairly stout, and very well galvanized - absolutely no rust at all,
even on the base plate which had sunk quite a few inches into the dirt
at the previous installation (*!* - the way it was mounted is a story in
itself - suffice it to say that it was amazing that it stood for 25 yrs!)

It also looks as if it was designed to go quite high although I only
have 50'. It is quite stout, maybe a little bigger across than Rohn 45
(tubes abt the diameter of the 45 tubes where they are swaged outward
to fit over the next section, - abt 1" ID I'd guess).
Triangular, with 4 X-shaped cross members on each face of each section
(10' sections, 12 cross members on each). The cross members are two
pieces of steel sorta like thin angle iron welded together at center of X.
The oddest thing is that they are bolted to the sections at each corner
with BENT BOLTS! the bolts are bent 60 degrees from straight, but well
done - they were plated after bending. It has a very hefty base
plate and cap. The cap was clearly not designed for a beam antenna - there
is no provision for a mast to go in the center, so I will have to
adapt it.

I hope this is enough info to jog someone's memory, I'd sure appreciate
any info!
Tnx es 73 de Steve WQ5G