Rohn 55 vs 45 vs 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn 55 vs 45 vs 25
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:22:55 -0400
        Without disagreeing about the benefits of 55 or 45 versus 25, I'd
like to suggest a slightly different way to stand on either a 25 or 45
tower.

        When I first started raising my Rohn 25 towers, a ham friend told me
not to stand with both feet on the same rung.  He said this would tend to
cause pain in my feet after an extended period of time.  Instead, stand
in such a way that each foot is on a different side of one of the tower
legs.  In this manner, the rung for each foot runs the length of your
foot instead of across the width.  Now there is three or four times as
much rung under your shoe, and thus a smaller amount of body weight per
square inch of rung.

        Not only do I stand that way, but on a 25 I also climb that way.
It is easier for me to get the climbing belt past the bolt heads on two
legs at a time than three - thus making my climbing much quicker.
(Climbing appears to be more work than standing, so anything to speed up
the climbing makes my work a lot easier.)  On a 45 tower, it doesn't work as
well with climbing.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT