Yaesu Rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Yaesu Rotors
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:28:56 -0700
At 03:36 PM 8/6/96 -0500, Dave Raymond-CSUS04 wrote:
>     For whatever it's worth, N0AMI (Jim), located here in Des Moines
>     recently replaced his Tailtwister with a G1000SDX rotor.  The
>     tailtwister had finally failed after six years of turning the large
>     KLM Log Periodic (with the 40 meter kit).  This antenna is on a 42'
>     boom.  Ths antenna, however, is well below the maximum wind load
>     specified by Yaesu.
>
>     We installed the G1000 with high hopes...we all thought the control
>     box was rather nifty but we questioned the very light weight of the
>     rotor itself.  Upon the 100th day of operation, the G1000 failed.  Jim
>     has a weather station at his qth and had recorded no winds over 50
>     mph.  We pulled out the new G1000 and replaced it with a spare
>     Tailtwister.  After we got down on the ground, we discovered the
>     problem.  When you shook the G1000, it sounded like there were scores
>     of loose pieces inside (probably bearings?).  We didn't dare open it
>     up!
>
>     Sooo, based on that experience, I would think twice about using a
>     G1000 to turn any heavy loads or antennas with long booms.
>
>     73,
>
>     Dave
>     WA0FLS
>
>     P.S.  The spare Tailtwister is still in place and working.

Hi Dave -- Are you sure about that wind area spec?  My G-1000SDX book shows
2.2 square meters, or about 24 square feet -- I would've thought that KLM
was bigger.  Also, they say in the book - and this seems to me a more
relevant spec - that the product of the rotating radius and the weight of
the antenna should not exceed 2020 foot/pounds.  On a 43-foot boom, that KLM
probably weighs more than 100 pounds, no?

When I inquired on the contest and DX reflectors, I found a number of people
who had G-1000s with quite large loads - I think the biggest was a 40-2CD
and a Tennadyne 10-element 20-10 meter LP - with no failures reported.
Could it be you ran into a manufacturing error or a materials problem in
that particular unit?
73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
LOUDER is gooder....