Source(s) for Rohn in NW USA?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Source(s) for Rohn in NW USA?
From: gdo@aloft.att.com (Glenn D. O'Donnell)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 15:27:28 EDT
>      I have the need to buy at least eight more Rohn 45G sections, guy
>      attachment points, a reel of EHS, etc etc to finish my tower project
>      before the snows begin here in NW Montana. Does anyone know of a
>      source or sources of Rohn tower components and/or general tower
>      materials (insulators, EHS, "big grips", etc) in the NW? I ordered the
>      initial base section, a 10' section, the big Rohn guy anchor rods to
>      get the concrete done, via Texas Towers. No complaints about the
>      service, but the motor freight charge from Texas to Montana was pretty
>      steep for such a small order. I can't imagine what shipping on the
>      rest of the stuff would be.

I got 6 45G sections, a 45AG4 top section, an SB45G base section, and misc.
brackets/hardware/guy anchors from National Tower last year and the freight
was <$200.  I thought this was quite reasonable, especially considering the
unit prices from the locals here in EPA/NJ.

The freight charge is essentially an "X + (N*Y)" equation where X is rather
large, N is some quantity relationship, and Y is rather small.  Given this,
freight for 10 parts is only mildly higher than the charge for one.  It's
god-awful expensive to order a single section from National (or Texas et al)
but the quantity shipping charges get very acceptable on big orders.
Think about it, the driver gets paid the same and uses roughly the same amount
of fuel whether he carries one or 50 sections.

I hope you find a reliable, affordable local.  That's always the best route
if you can do it.  Otherwise, don't be too terrified of the shipping charges
from Texas or National if you're getting a big order.

Best 73 de Glenn, N3BDA  (gdo@lucent.com)