False Flags?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: False Flags?
From: readerl@goliath.sunyocc.edu (Larry Reader)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 15:26:06 -0400
As the President of the local "DX/Contesting Club" I've just gotten off the
phone with the local zoning board attorney.  My purpose in calling was a
zoning board proposal for a "moratorium" on tower construction in my town.
He first assured me that only "commercial" towers are affected and that ham
towers are not covered by the proposal, thanked me for the copy of PRB 1 I
had sent him, then told me the following story:

"you know, he said, you hams should worry about a situation we just dealt
with.  A guy proposed a ham radio tower here last month, showed us his
license and all, but was actually looking to put other, commercial,
customers on it too.  Once we discovered his real objective, we turned him
down, but it sure left a bad taste in our mouths."

Anyone ever hear of other instances of a ham flying a "false flag" to win
approval for a commercial tower?  I'd never thought of it.  We already have
a marginal reputation with some folks, hate to see further degradation of
our situation.

73

Larry
KE2VB