SUMMARY: Trylon / Titan Towers (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: SUMMARY: Trylon / Titan Towers (long)
From: neader@centuryinter.net (Scott Neader)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:49:41 -0500
Thanks to all for your input on Trylon Titan self-supporting towers.  From
these comments, I can't see how I could go wrong with them.  I will be
posting this summary to my web site as well (http://QTH.com/ka9fox) but if
anybody has anything to add to it, let me know.

73 - Scott KA9FOX

---------

My original question regarding Trylon Titan towers, sent to the TowerTalk
mailing list in August 1996:

I am still hoping (praying) to put up a self-supporting tower yet this
year.  As background, I have a small corner city lot.  I don't think I have
room for guys, plus the XYL frowns on them.

My goal is to be half-way competitive in domestic contests like NAQP, so I
don't have to pack-up my station and go guest-op somewhere.  I'd like to
put up a killer tribander and possibly a 402-CD or the tribander would have
40m.  I might consider side-mounting a small tribander for the second
radio.  I'd probably do an inverted vee for 80 and/or load the tower.  Not
sure for 160... either load the tower or an inverted L.  I'd like to be up
around 60 to 70 feet. (remember, no guys and no roof bracket).

KE2VB mentioned that a lot of guys on the east coast have put up Titan Self
Supporting Towers, made by Trylon Mfg. of Ontario.  I called Trylon
(519-669-5421) and got Jon Martin's voice mail.  I asked for info to be
faxed, and he did.  WOW!!  Cool stuff!!  Check these Max. Wind Thrust
Values:

                      TITAN MAXIMUM WIND THRUST VALUES

MODEL  MAX HEIGHT         70MPH              85MPH
-----  ----------    ---------------    ---------------
T200      96ft       200lbs/15 sq ft          n/a
T300      88ft       300lbs/22 sq ft    110lbs/ 6 sq ft
T400      80ft       460lbs/34 sq ft    240lbs/12 sq ft
T500      72ft       600lbs/45 sq ft    450lbs/22 sq ft
T600      64ft       800lbs/60 sq ft    700lbs/35 sq ft
T700      56ft      1000lbs/80 sq ft    900lbs/45 sq ft
T800      48ft      1300lbs/99 sq ft   1130lbs/58 sq ft

It goes together like an erector set... so it ships in pieces, which should
make shipping cheaper plus easier to unload.  The info says I'll have to
use 6 to 7 yards of concrete, depending on how big the bottom section is.

Any experience with Trylon??  Any other suggestions??  Any critiques of my
goal and plans?  I'll summarize and repost if the information warrants it.

73 - Scott KA9FOX

Now the answers to my questions:
---------
There are many Trylon towers in this area for ham and commercial
use...mostly commercial for RCMP and Fisheries Dept etc . They are very
very strong and built for the high wind conditions and ice loading found in
most parts of Canada.   In my view of r a self-supporting non telescopic
tower you can't go wrong with one of them. Winds in Nfld during the winter
sustain  frequently at 100kmph and many times gust to 110 - 120 kmph.
During spring we often get heavy icing condx along with the wind.  I lost a
Telerex yagi 3yrs ago in one of those blows.

73 Frank VO1HP
St John's NFLD (Check the atlas for my location)
---------
It just so happens that I'm putting up a trylon tower right now!
It's the T400-72. This baby is put together! I'm putting 2 force-12
antennas up on it (10-40), and will hopefully end up with an array on
80 and a vee on 160. I dug a big hole and used 12 yard concrete. Mine
is rated @ 34 sq. ft.. NO GUYS! Just so happens a good friend of mine,
who has been a ham for a long while, seen this and decided to get one
for himself. He got the t500-72.....43 sq.ft.! Nice tower,man. I really
don't think that I'll lose too much sleep this winter during those big
storms that come up the east coast with this tower. Everything is bolted
together, too, so no chance of welds breaking. It's also steel, not
aluminum! While I was shopping for towers to get to around the 70'
height, I came across this. Crank-ups and other self-supported towers
that I looked at couldn't compare either in wind load or price!
Trylon doesn't outright sell the towers anymore (I don't know that this is
actually true - KA9FOX) , but they do have dealers.
Call Harold MacFarlane of MacFarlane Industries @ 613-353-2800. I met
him at the Rochester hamfest 2 years ago,seen the Trylon and was hooked
on it. He is also a ham. He'll have all needed to get you going..........
tower,legs,plates,bearings,etc.,etc.. Good luck. Here, mine goes up
Saturday. Concrete is now cured enough, tower is laying together on its
side, antennas are together....yesssssssssssssssssss. I'm excited.

73 Jeff, N3MLV
---------
I recently bought a used Rohn SSV series tower and in the process,
became acquainted with the fact that Rohn has some attractive amateur
packages of these self-supporting towers, which are normally used in
commercial service. These are tapered, three-sided models.
You ought to give Rohn a call and ask them to send their catalog which
describes the whole series and also about the special ham packages.

Rolfe, W3VH
---------
Trylon is very good and is the tower of choice for a lot of
people up here. I know of no problems with them and the ones
erected in Calgary easily survive the rigours of a Canadian
winter!  NB: Glad to see you are supporting free trade by buying
Canadian!!

Tim VE6SH
---------
K0RC and I, put up an 80 footer last Fall for KF0QR.  The tower would
appear to  be pretty good "bang for the buck" compared to some others.  The
drawbacks are  that the mounting plates for rotors are garbage.  Plan to
cut up some .250  aluminum plate to make your own rotor and thrust bearing
plates.  You will also  need to cobble up some method of mounting a
"normal" gin pole to the stamped  steel legs.  Not much of a problem after
you get past the first few sections.

Unfortunately KF0QR's tower lasted only a few months.  Not sure if you
heard  about our ice storm last January.  VERY unusual for this area in
January!  The  tower was loaded with antennas to begin with.  Dennis had a
24 foot CM mast (8  feet down in the tower) with a Force 12 620/340 (13.4
sq ft) just above the  thrust bearing, Force 12 EF-230 (3.22 sq ft 2 el
30M) up about 7 feet, Force 12  80M rotatable dipole (2.5 sq ft) near the
top of the mast, and a 2M/440  vertical at the top.  The tower managed the
load very nicely in some very nasty winds.  Our January ice storm was a
killer though.  The tower and antennas were  coated in at least 1" thick
radial ice.  Following the ice we had terrible  winds which caused the
620/340 and the EF-230 to rotate in the boom to mast  clamps so that both
antennas were nearly vertical.  The element tips on the  620/340 had
contacted the 80M dipole and were "tweaked".  Dennis called the insurance
carrier and scheduled a visit by the adjuster.  By the time the adjuster
arrived (over two weeks later) we had another bad wind storm come  through
and folded the tower over just below the rotor mounting plate.  UGLY!

I have no idea what kind of wind load the tower must have seen with both
antennas rotated in a near vertical position, but the fact that it survived
as  long as it did is surprising.  Dennis has just received his new tower
so now  comes the fun of taking down the old & up with the new (prior to
the snow  flying).  In spite of the failure I still feel that they are a
very good bargain.

73 & GUD DX  de KN0Z  Gary
---------
You might try Heights Mfg in Michigan, as they have a complete
line of free standing self supporting towers, and a feature called a
screwover base if you want. They are a second generation company that
specializes in only towers especially for amateurs and commercial uses.Call
in the afternoon, or you'll get the answer machine. Their numbers are,
1-800-745-1780, and 1-313-692-6711 and ask for Drake Dimitry the owner, he
is very accomadating and will be glad to help you.

John, KC4TBH
---------
I have installed the Trylon tower at KF0QR's QTH.  This is the 80
foot model.  Nice tower for the money.  It reminds me of a VERY heavy
duty Rohn/Spaulding design (HDBX series).  Not the most comfortable
tower to climb and work on, but hey, which ones are?  (The cross braces
become more steep as you climb to the smaller sections and there are no
"straight across" braces.)  If you decide to purchase this tower, you
might inquire about straight across steps.  I noticed extra holes which
might be used for this application, as an option.

Unfortunately, Dennis overloaded this tower.  He has a 24' moly
mast, 16' out the tower and 8' inside.  The antennas stacked from the
bottom to the top are: Force 12 340/620, Force 12 230, Force 12 180, and
a Diamond 144/440 17' dual bander.  It buckled about 16 feet from the top
in the ice/wind storm last January.  Of course the overall height to the
top of the Diamond antenna was about 113 feet.  It appears the tower was
torqued and then folded.  There was an incredible amount of boom and
elements up there, so I am not surprised.

It's my opinion that he severely overloaded his tower by not taking into
account the leverage principle of the mast and he stacked his antennas too
high.

BTW, you mentioned the possibility of a crank up tower.  Some of
the fellows around here were caught off guard during the ice storm.  By
the time they decided to go outside and crank their towers down, they
were jammed from the coating of ice.  Several "bit the dust" because they
could not retract them.  I'm not a big fan of crank ups, but as I age,
they are beginning to look more and more attractive!

In contrast, I have a 90' Universal self supporting aluminum tower
that survived with a 24' aluminum mast (6061-T6 0.250" wall, 12' in, 12'
out), a Mosley PRO-67B (11 sq ft), and a Diamond 17' dual bander stacked on
top. My height to the tip is 119 feet, but the Mosley is only a foot above
the top of the tower.  Other than a couple 440 MHz yagis and 80m & 160m
inverted vee's, there is nothing else up there to catch the wind.

I have $5000 invested in my tower, and he has $2500 (tower, thrust
bearings, plates, base, concrete).  As you can see, there is a significant
cost savings using the Trylon.

I also helped install a 88' Heights tower this past spring.  This is
another aluminum self supporting design.  It was recently redesigned to meet
the new ice/wind loading specifications and is a beautiful piece of hardware.
If I didn't already own two 90' Universal towers, I would switch brands and
go with the Heights product for several reasons.

First, they offer a 35" base section (Universal starts with 30" base).
These bottom sections take tremendous stress during the wind storms.  It
looks like Heights uses bigger tubing on these sections as well.

Second, the Heights straight sections are joined with couplers, similar
to the commercial towers (instead of nestling each leg, ala Rohn 25).  This
helps when it comes time to take it down and move to a new QTH.  Nestled
aluminum can seize.  This happened to me in Roseville.  I couldn't get the
top section off my tower.  I had to hire a crane to pick the whole thing
off the base and lay it down in the yard.  Cost: $150.  Time: one hour from
driving up to driving away. Delay: 4 weeks trying to find a crane to do the
job.  Paul Larson, KE0OL, and I had spent 4 hours working on that top
section with lubricants and jacks to no avail.

The aluminum towers are easy to climb because they use Z-bracing on each
side.  You have a level step all the way to the top.  Giant steps near the
bottom and baby steps near the top, but at least they are level.

Rust never sleeps.  Aluminum never rusts.  I am using tower sections
that are over 20 years old and they look like new.  I also learned to use
anti seize compound on the nestled legs.  Oh yeah, plan on using 6 yards of
concrete to keep the tower upright!  So that's my $2.02 worth.

Just in case you need these addresses:

        Heights Tower Systems, Ltd.
        1721 Indian Road
        Lapeer, MI, 48446, USA
        (313) 667-1700

        Rohn World Headquarters
        6718 West Plank Road
        Peoria, IL 61656, USA
        (309) 697-4400

        Trylon Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
        PO Box 186
        Elmira, Ontario, N3B 2Z6, Canada
        (519) 669-5421

        Universal Manufacturing Company
        43900 Groesbeck Highway
        Mt. Clemens, MI 40843, USA
        (313) 463-2560

73 de Bob - K0RC
---------
I have an old catalog (1993) from Trylon with a US telephone number.

I just got the Rohn Self Supporting Towers for Amateur radio booklet from Al
Repssumer at 309-697-4400 or ask for it on their new web page.  Called the
RTP series and are part of the SSV group.

Either will handle what you want at 60 to 70 feet.  Next step is ease of
assembly and price for the config you want.  Expect to pay more than 45
prices, but less than the 45 guyed!   And with those antennas on top you
will have a bang up 160 or 80 vertical.  Good luck.

Dave K4JRB
---------
The guy who recommended the Rohn SSV towers obviously didn't check out
the prices!

(call withheld)
---------
Since you're dreaming about towers (I do that a lot sometimes too) let me
tell you what my "dream setup, within reason" would be.  A 72 ft Trylon with
a 15 ft moly mast supporting two Force 12 antennas, a MAG 620/340 at 73' and
a 4BA at 82'.  That gives you seperate 3 element monobanders on 10/12/15/17,
6 elements on 20 and 3 elements on 40.  Load the tower on both 80 and 160
and run "stealth" beverages of #26 black coated wire through the
neighborhood! Stick an R7 on top for the second rig.

Of course that $3300 worth of antennas, so more realistically, my buddy
Dick, KA2AJT, had a 72 ft Trylon with a KT34XA at 75' and a 40-2CD at 82'.
That's probably doable and more realistically priced.

A hint.  Rent a boom truck at $100 an hour to erect the tower/antennas.
Best $150 you'll ever spend.  The tower goes up real easy (Trylon can
provide details of the gin pole you need to fabricate, its very simple)
without the boom truck but mounting the antennas can be a pain when you're
trying to mount two on top of any tower.  Without the boom truck you build
the tower around the mast, then haul that very heavy mast up through the
rotor plate and thrust bearing, stabilize the mast, mount the top antenna,
raise the mast carefully using a "come along" until you can get the rotor
mounted, plumb the mast in the rotor and thrust bearing and then haul up and
mount the bottom antenna.  It's a long afternoon on the tower and make sure
you have a trusted, strong, experienced friend up there with you.  With a
boom truck you bolt together the entire tower, mast, rotor, thrust bearing
horizontally on the ground. The boom truck lifts the whole thing up and
places it on the bottom section already plumb and in the concrete.  Six
bolts and your're done.  Make sure you have a "lining up tool" for the bolt
holes.  Now, you go up in a bucket with the top (light) antenna laid across
your lap and bolt it on.  Then you transfer to the tower and safety in at
the top.  The boom truck brings the heavy antenna up to you on the tower and
holds it while you bolt it on.  Simple.

Isn't ham radio fun!

73 - Larry KE2VB
---------
Regarding these Titan towers, do you have any information as to how
one might use with such standard ham accessories as thrust bearings and
rotator shelves with this sort of tower?  I'd looked at the Rohn SSV towers
which do have shelves and bearings available, but they required so much
concrete underneath them that it didn't seem reasonable or cost effective.
These Titan towers sound great, and plenty sturdy, but I wonder how hard it
will be to mount a T2X and a TB3 into the top of one.  Any ideas?

Pete, AD4TU
---------
Have personally been involved with the assembly and installation of two of
these Beasties (Trylon towers)   one a 56 ft Model in 1982  and the other a
48 ft model in 1995. The break down feature is a good shipping bonus ..
assembly is relatively easy just a couple of ratchets and an extra pair of
hands and you  could assemble an eight foot section in about 20 minutes or
so with all the bolts fully torqued. You have already heard from VO1HP
Frank who has extolled the virtues of the tower vis-a vis ability to
withstand wind and ice loading . It is a very sturdy tower well engineered
and should be able to withstand anything YOUR weather might throw at it.
Eastern Newfoundland from an engineering/geographical perspective is
classified as being in one of the
most severe areas in North America for wind and ice combinations. BTW the
1982 model was erected at our club repeater site which is atop a barren hill
approximately 30 miles SW St. John's   800 ft ASL. It is still rigid and
standing after 14 years exposure to winds which have been clocked as high
as 165 km/h during that period. Local meteorologist provided me some info
last year relative to client problem had at time.... FYI the wind around
here hits the 135 kmh mark at least once a month for about 11 of the 12
months each year. 64 ft Trylon owned by VO1CV had been standing for 10
years with no problems to tower, however he replaced/rebuilt 6 tailtwisters

and rebuilt his 204 ba many times during that period.
The 48 footer I installed last year is at our club station at the local
Canadian Red Cross HQ it has a pro-37 7 element 80 lb yagi on top, that is
minus one part of the reflector , one winter only yet hi! Tower ok though in
about 2.5 cubic meters concrete. However, Scott we  only really think it's
windy if when you hang a 6 foot length of one inch chain on the clothes
line and the thing stands off parallel to the ground. Hope this has been of
some help to you .

73  es gl from Newfoundland
Gus Samuelson, VO1MP
---------
N9NS has one of these and likes it real well. He is not on the internet, but
I suspect he will be up to W9DXCC. Looking forward to seeing you there!

73, K8Joe"Palooka"
---------
(regarding the wind load chart in your message) I noticed that when you
divide the "lbs" by the "sq ft" you get about 13 at 70 mph and about 20 at
85 mph using the data in the above chart.  An old EIA wind chart that I
have in an old Rohn catalog says 70 mph is 19.6 lb/sq  ft and 85 mph is
28.9 lb/sq ft.  The implication is that maybe the "sq ft" rating is a
little too high for the "lbs" number.  But maybe my data is just too old
and the EIA chart has not been found to be accurate.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
---------
(in regards to the above question) I would think that the chart from each
manufacturer would be different due to design specs. There is some
correlation between weight (down moment) and square feet, but normally a
tower mfg designs to a certain dead weight limit then looks at side moments
or max sq ft. The Rohn BX series can handle 10 sq feet but a max of a 10
foot boom.

Weight is strictly a discrete measurement. Sq ft is calulated from wind
resistance on the elements and boom.  This will vary from one manufacturer
to another unless they use the exact same design.

Rohn told me that the EIA spec is a respected guideline. Trylon is just
more conservative.

Dave K4JRB
----------
I'm using a Trylon A200 - 64 ft. Its got a KT34XA on top and a
402-CD 9 feet above that. Sold as a rock. Although I don't climb
much myself, its rungs can give you "tower rung foot" if you
don't use good quality footware. ( Save the gym shoes and get a
good pair of boots) Its been up 10 years and has weathered very
well. Anything that can take a Winnipeg winter with the blizzards
and wind that go with it and come up smiling has my vote.

BTW, as an american, you'd be nuts NOT to take advantage of the
exchange rate of the CDN vs. US dollar. I'm sure the prices must
be favorable on your end.  Solid product, good value in my opinion.

73, Rob VE4GV
---------
I helped a friend put up 72 feet of it last summer.  Unfortunatly 2 weeks
later I helped him take it down.  The neighbors started raising hell, and
he was a city employee..

anyway, all i can say is that i was impressed with it.  If I was going to
put up some free standing tower i would sure consider it.

73, Mike Stokes, KK9V
----------

Well, in summary... I like what I am hearing!  If you are interested in
Trylon, you can contact them at:

Trylon Manufacturing
John Martin, Sales
P.O. Box 186
21 Howard Avenue
Elmira, Ontario N3B-2Z6  CANADA
Phone: 519-669-5421
FAX: 519-669-8912

73 - Scott KA9FOX
neader@centuryinter.net

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@centuryinter.net
Internet Solutions web: http://www.QTH.com/is   Ham web: http://www.QTH.com