Towers and ice.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Towers and ice.
From: sawyers@cacd.rockwell.com (sawyers)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:53:22 cst
Ice adds wind area and weight to a tower. Towers with smaller members are
more affected than towers with larger members from a percentage stand
point. Ice is generally not good for the health of any tower.

                w/o ice         w/ 1/2" radial ice
Rohn 25
+ 3/4 hardline on each face

Effective Area  1.61            3.70    ft^2/section
Weight          41.20           97.44   lb. / section

Rohn 55
+ 3/4 hardline on each face

Effective Area  2.10            4.40    ft^2/section
Weight          95.0            192.40  lb. / section

Other than the weight of the tower section, 45 looks like 55.

These are per EIA-222 Rev E. from some calcs I did for a guy trying to make a
choice. The standard specifies that the wind pressure can be reduced to 75% of
the normal wind pressure.

Some local meterological data may indicate that a lower percentage may be
applicable in your area. Check with your state climatologist or meterological
center.

I usually use 25 pounds per square foot to keep the math simple and most towers
I deal with for amateurs are in an 80 MPH wind district and under a 100 ft so it
gives me a good ball park number when asked for an informal opinion.

Anyway the ice load on Rohn 25 increases the wind area by (3.70/1.61) = 2.29.

I generally find ice loading to be the most severe case when evaluating a tower.

Of course if you live in Florida, then ice is not much of a concern, just
hurricanes.

de n0yvy steve