prop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: prop
From: n4xm@iglou.com (Paul D. Schrader)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:52:55 -0400 (EDT)
>From memory--can weigh later--the assembly weighs about 90 lbs.  The assembly
consists of an aluminum bracket designed for a Rohn 45 tower.  Believe it is
heliarc welded; but was used for several years without problem.  The bracket
holds the
prop pitch outside the tower with the motor up. A sprocket is mounted to the
bottom
of the prop pitch and chain drives another sprocket in the center, to which the
mast attaches.  The chain was not stainless and needs replacing.  Also the
mast bearing should be replaced.  The prop pitch itself has been modified. I
didn't do it myself but
from what I think I know a gear has been cut out of it; if this was not done
it would run at 1/6 rpm--way too slow.  It now runs the beam at I believe
approx 1.5/rpm at full
motor voltage.  The control panel has a small variac to control the voltage
and thus the speed.  The control panel is designed for standard rack
mounting and has a "radio compass" indicator for direction.  The prop pitch
itself has limit switches and capacitor noise suppression in it.  There are
two 115V 60 Hz selsyns with it for the
direction indication.  The tower selsyn needs to be driven from the mast and
the mast connection to selsyn connection needs to be redone.  All was
working OK when I took it down many years ago and I beleive it is OK except
for what I have mentioned.  Realize the beam rpm speed is also affected by
the sprocket ratios and can be changed by that
method if desired.

I was turning a 46 ft boom 5 EL 20M beam at 115 ft with a Hygain short 40M 2
EL beam
at 125 ft. when I was using it.

The price is firm.  There is no guarantee.  It is as represented and does
need some work.  But it will turn things and has a large amount of labor in
getting it to the
stage it is.  If interested I would take it to a local place for packing and
shipping and charge you their charge.  I request $600 total and will refund
or expect more depending on the shipping and packaging charges with the
price of the prop pitch system being $500.

                        73 Paul N4XM