Baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Baluns
From: JKAHRS@delphi.com (JKAHRS@delphi.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 00:01:59 -0500 (EST)
On 29-AUG-1996 20:49:19.7 FSWF37A said to JKAHRS
   > I'm doing some antenna work this weekend and would like to change the
   > balun on my TA-33.
   > Right now I have a choke balun (multi-layer about 6 turns, 6 inch dia.
   > ) and I'm not happy with it.
   > Should I try a commercial balun or a single layer 4 inch dia. coax
   > balun as suggested by someone a few weeks ago?
   > BTW Moseley sez that no balun is needed!
   > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
   > Jim, WB2TPS

Jim,
Mosely doesnt suggest a balun because they dont sell baluns!  The TA-33 IS a
balanced antenna.  Coax is an unbalanced transmission line.  I have a TA-33
I use for Field Day on 15 meters.  The balun is 6 turns of RG-8 on a 4 inch
PVC coil form.  Works great.  I use a Wire Man current balun on my Mosley
PRO-67B, also a balanced antenna.

I also have a HyGain TH-3 that I use on 20 meters during FD.  Here again it
is a balanced antenna BUT HyGain recommends a balun and will sell you one.
Ditto for the HyGain 3 elm 10 meter beam...also FD ant.  I use a HyGain
balun on the TH-3 and a duplicate of the TA-33 balun on the 10 meter beam.
They all seem to work fine.

FWIW!

73, Hank/K2UVG
jkahrs@delphi.com