TENSIONING Phillystran

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TENSIONING Phillystran
From: WX0B-JTERLESKI@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jay Terleski)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:08:56 -0500
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> >Is there and differences in tightening Philly v.s. ehs steel?
> >
> >Can you use a klien grip or is it even necessary.  If the stuff is
> >as flexible as it sounds I would imagine you simply open your turnbuckle
> >all the way and tighten the philly by hand while attaching to the
> >buckle, then let the turnbuckle do the rest of the work????
> >
> Rich --
>
>      I think this still has to do with your rooftop installation.  Yes, since
> it is lightweight it is much easier to work with than EHS.  Do not use a
> Klien grip or other cable pullers as it will damage the PVC jacket.  A Kellum
> grip would probably work but like you say, you can just about do it by hand.
>  If you need a temporary pull-point, use one of the Phillystran Big Grips.
>  You just can't use it for a permanent grip once you've used it like that.
>  BTW, the only factory authorized terminations are the Big Grip preforms; no
> cable clamps allowed.
>
>    Well that may be their answere now that they are in the dead-end grip
> business...BUT I am
sure you remember that 4 years ago they had a BIG revelation and you could use
the
appropriete wire rope cable clip.  That is exactly what the design engineer /
inventor of
Philly told me when I called him about using wire nuts vs the old potting
methode.  He seems
to be right since my overloaded beast is still up.

I Did use their grips to for the second tower, just because they are easier.
Jay wx0b