Liquid Electrical Tape

To: <>
Subject: Liquid Electrical Tape
From: (David Feldman)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 13:49:43 -0700
>While going through Home Depot the other day I stumbled upon an interesting
>product. It is "Liquid Electrical Tape" by Starbrite(tm). Apparently it is a
>coating of some kind that you can use in lieu of electrical tape. It comes
>in a small can with a brush built into the cap; a lot like school glue.

I have a can of the same stuff at home and have used it for a number of

>flame retardant, works from -30F to +255F, and has super dielectric strength.

I haven't tested some of the detail specifications, but it does work as
represented on the can.

>Does anyone know about this stuff? What would be the disadvantages to using
>this for waterproofing. I don't want to start another general waterproofing
>thread, but I would like to know if anyone has experience with this stuff.

Well, I have used it with good success in lieu of electrical tape, mainly
where I didn't want tape to become unravelled (i.e., a mobile antenna part)
or where tape wasn't easy to apply (a hard-to-reach wiring joint or something
like that). I make sure that the thing to be covered is clean and free of

It is a little peculiar in texture - a bit like handling RTV (silicone rubber),
but not quite as thick. It seems to take longer than 5 minutes to set - I'd
allow a couple of hours before disturbing the application, particularly if you
end up with a thick glob somewhere (it is a bit hard to control the thickeness
of the application because it tries to adhere to itself while it's still
liquid - if that makes any sense...). It slightly reminds me of rubber cement.

Once cured it seems to have very little structural strength - I wouldn't use
it as an adhesive.

I've had the same can of the stuff for about a year now - probably have used
about half of it on various spots. No failures found yet. I only have the
black color (that's all that was available where I am located). The stuff
remaining in the can seems to have thickened some (I'll probably discard the
can soon and get another one) but it is still useful.

73 Dave WB0GAZ

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P