Tower guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower guying questions
From: dann4gnr@hartcom.net (Dan Cisson)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:44:28 -0400
albraun@socketis.net wrote:

> [...]
> last spring but it didn't occur to me at the time what was happening.
> I don't think it has changed much since then.
>
> The ground in my area is mostly clay and rock without a lot of topsoil.
>
>         My questions are these:
> 1.  Is there anything I can do to salvage the installation, such as
> putting something into the holes to fill the spaces?
>
> 2.  Should I do something right away or could it wait until the spring?
> I'm going to be hard pressed for time to plant new guy anchors before it
> gets cold.
>
> I realize that the best solution is to put down new anchors.  I also
> understand that it isn't possible to give reliable answers without
> having seen my situation.  However I'd appreciate whatever thoughts
> anyone might have.  Thanks and 73 - Alan NS0B
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ALAN, FIRST I AM NOT GOOD WITH THIS COMPUTER, I AM NOT SURE I AM
REPLYING CORRECTLY. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND YOU SAYING, I CAN SEE
ONE MAJOR MISTAKE YOU MADE. THE ANCHORS YOU USED ARE MADE TO SCREW
INTO THE DIRT, YOU ACTUALLY WEAKENED THAT INSTALLATION WITH THAT
AMOUNT OF CONCRETE. IF YOU HAD PROBLEMS GETTING THEM TO START INTO
THE GROUND, YOU MAY TRY SOAKING THE GROUND WITH WATER FOR SEVERAL
HOURS,SLOWLY, DON'T WASTE TOO MUCH WATER,THE GROUND CAN ONLY SOAK
UP SO MUCH. AFTER THIS YOU MAY HAVE TO TRY THE ANCHOR AT DIFFERENT
ANGLES UNTIL IT GRABS, THEN SLOWLY START TILTING THE ANCHOR BACK
TOWARD THE TOWER AT THE AVERAGE ANGLE OF THE GUY CABLES.ANOTHER
THING,I HEAVILY RECOMMEND USING AN ANCHOR AT LEAST 6 FOOT LONG
FOR A 100 FOOT ROHN 45. A 4 FOOT ANCHOR IS TOO MARGINAL FOR THAT
SIZE TOWER AND ANTENNA, EVEN TOWER ALONE!!IF YOU GET A 6 ft. ANCHOR
ALL THE WAY DOWN, IT WILL NEVER PULL UP, IF IT DOES,YOUR HOUSE
IS ALREADY GONE, AND YOU ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT ANY TOWER.I PUT
UP TOWERS FOR A LIVING,AND SERIOUSLY, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A 6 ft.
ANCHOR BUDGE EVEN A LITTLE!! YOU CAN GET 6 FT. ANCHORS AT A T.V.
CABLE SUPPLY COMPANY,AND UTILITIES SUPPLY. YOUR CABLE COMPANY
CAN FILL YOU IN ON THEIR SUPPLIER. BE SURE YOU GET ONES WITH
AT LEAST A 6" SCREW DISC AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ANCHOR. ANCHORS
SHORTER THAN 6 FT.(BUT NOT LESS THAN 2-3 FT.), ARE FAIRLY PRACTICAL
FOR TOWERS LESS THAN 80-90FT.,AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE A LARGE
ANTENNA UP. AND THE TOWER SIZE I MEAN IS LIKE ROHN 25, OR SO.I
RARELY USE THE EARTH ANCHORS, FOR IN ORDER TO WARRANTY MY
INSTALLATIONS, THEY MUST BE BY THE BOOK. YOU CAN PUT IN NEW ANCHORS
WITH NO PROBLEM. PUT THEM IN ABOUT 1-2 FEET SHORT OF THE OLD ONES,
THIS ALLOWS YOU NOT TO PEICE YOUR GUYS, BUT YOU WILL SHORTEN EACH
GUY A FOOT OR SO. ANY WAY I CAN HELP YOU, MAIL ME BACK. BY THE
WAY, IF YOU SUSPECT AN ANCHOR HAS MOVED,IT WOULD BE A MAJOR
GAMBLE TO TRY TO "BUY TIME"!!!73 DAN  dann4gnr@hartcom.net