Guy supports

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy supports
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:26:45 -0400 (EDT)
Mike,

Pipe is a terrible choice for elevated guy supports, unless you can get it
very strong pipe very cheap!  Pipe is best used for compressive loads,
such as a load bearing column, or in a mast.  For an elevated guy support,
a much better choice is an I-beam.  I beams are the proper shape for a
side load and are very economical since they are widely utilized in the
building industry.

The detailed engineering of your guy support structure and foundation is
best done by a PE.  If you are interested, I can refer you to a PE who has
done work for many of PVRC's contest stations.  He is retired
and charges reasonable fees.

N3RR and KF3P recently installed elevated guys based on his designs and
they are very happy they used professional engineering rather than seat of
the pants guesswork!

73
Frank
W3LPL