Falling tower question

To: <>
Subject: Falling tower question
From: (Scott Neader)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:21:12 -0500
>>       If I should ever lose a top guy wire or its anchor, should I expect
>>to have the tower collapse instead of bending?

>      Interesting question.  According to the information that I've seen, a
>guyed tower will fall typically within a circle around its base approximately
>30% of its height.  It doesn't "fall over" because it is constrained, or
>tethered, by the remaining guy wires.  Talk about a pile of scrap...
>    BTW, this probably shoots the heck out of tower building set-back

So, what happens to a self-supporting tower when it decides to fall?  Does
it typically stay within that 30% of height... or will my future tower hit
my neighbor's house?   (just planning my answers when the neighbors start
asking once I do choose a tower and put it up)

- Scott KA9FOX

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 /
Internet Solutions web:   Ham web:

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P