Determine geographic North

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Determine geographic North
From: baycock@HiWAAY.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:21:01 -0500 (CDT)
At 08:34 PM 10/24/96 +0100, you wrote:
>        I've been waiting for the opportunity to share
>this technique with the world.  It looks like the time
>has arrived!

Too bad its all wrong- some time checking would have been better for us all.
There may be some out there that believe you.

>.  You've seen the books
>and TV reports, stating the accuracy down to the limits
>of our modern-day instrumentation!

A prime error. they were not that precise, and the pole has shifted since
their day.

>        Third, mark the end-point where the shadow meets
>your surface.
>
>        Fifth, mark the end-point of the shadow when you
>return.
>        Finally, draw a string between the original shadow
>mark and the final shadow mark.
>
>        You now have a precise line which runs east and
>west.

Wrong again. the line will be E-W only if you use two times equally before
and after Solar noon.  If you knew that, you could use ONE shadow to point
due north at noon. (Solar, not clock)

>        It's amazing
>
>        Technique author unknown

Just as well

Bill- pondering the persistance of erroneous legend

Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill  ---   Woodville, Alabama, USA
 ---  (in the N.E. corner of the State)
also-- W4BSG -- Grid EM64vr