Getting Your Bearings

To: <>
Subject: Getting Your Bearings
From: (Ben Bond)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:01:19 -0500
Roger, your right on the mark with one small oversight.
I have a great memory, it's just short. After following your
advice, I marked the direction of true north using a couple
pieces of fence top rail and water pipe. Now I don't know
what I'll use for masting on my tower!!!!

P.S. The Scotch 33 should be ok. While writing this, I held
my left thumb with two wraps of the stuff in my coffee cup and
it held like iron.

Ben Bond KF2LW

To: <>
> [...]
> the sky if you happen to be outdoors. Now, take a half a step backwards
> increase the distance between your feet assuming the position the police
> would require prior to searching you for drugs or weapons. This position
> strictly optional as it makes this exercise slightly more humorous... but
> not much.
> Finally, and here's the critical maneuver.... while still leaning with
> palms against the wall, fingers pointing up, notice that your thumbs are
> closest to each other of all your fingers. This is an important point to
> check as the rest can get somewhat confusing. (If you are having
> distinguishing between your palms and the back of your hands- please,
> keep as far away from radio towers as possible- never, ever attempting to
> climb anything!) Now, keeping all the rest of your fingers gently pressed
> together, slowly spread your thumbs down so that the tips of your thumbs
> pointing directly toward each other.
> Your almost there now. Looking at the back of both of your hands, you may
> have just made the realization that only one of your hands has its thumb
> up-pointing fingers in the shape of the letter "L." Hint: this is your
> HAND! That's right (I mean- correct), it's the only hand with the
> letter "L" that stands for LEFT! Isn't nature wonderful?..... at least in
> English. In French you've got massive problems trying to get your left
> to form the letter "G" like in gauche. In Chinese.... well, forget it!
> Caution: If you happen to be dyslexic, please ask someone who is not to
> point out which hand makes the shape of the letter "L." You should have
> problem discerning the palms from the back of your hands- as the palms
> usually have the least amount of hair on them- for most of us anyway.
> In order to prevent forgetting which hand is which, as soon as you have
> determined which hand is the "Left" one, gently place a several wraps of
> Scotch brand no. 33 (or the heavier gauge no. 88 if you can still find
> black vinyl electrical tape on your left thumb as a reminder. It is not
> necessary to seal it with a hot iron or butane torch. You may wish to
> it with several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear to keep it looking nice and
> new. UV light will not affect it so it will last for many years of
> and coffee stirring.
> Also, please do not forget to gently wrap the last turn so as to prevent
> tape from "flagging"... as well as to forestall a cessation of blood
> circulation in this digit bringing on gangrene. However, should you
> inadvertently loose this digit to gangrene, you will never have to worry
> about wearing the silly tape and finding your left hand should thereafter
> always be a piece of cake.
> Good Luck with getting your bearings.
> 73's Roger, K2JAS
> PS. I have just been up for 24 hours straight in the CQWW contest and I
> having great difficulty telling up from down. Can anyone help me?

Sponsored by Akorn Access, Inc & KM9P