WILSON DB54

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: WILSON DB54
From: halwaite@sprintmail.com (Hal Waite)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 16:52:43 -0800
FrankVanderZande wrote:

> WILSON DB54
>
> A DB54 20/15 meter yagi may become available. It's a few hundred miles
> from my qth, so before I go have a look what it is like, would appreciate
> comments from those who may have experience with this sizeable antenna.
>
> Understand this antenna goes back a few years. I am wondering
>
>         -  how would this antenna compare to 5 element monobanders for 20 & 15
>         -  what size rotator would be needed
>         -  if any specialty parts on this antenna that would be hard to
> replace
>
>         Thanks
>
>                        - Frank        VE7AV@fortress.awinc.com

I used this antenna for years in Florida and the performance was supurb,
including the 15-meter which used interlaced elements.  The individual
gamma matches had to be adjusted by trial and error; the factory settings
were way off. Used the Tailtwister which withstood Florida winds.  No
speciality parts; I believe that I might still have the manual on the
beast.

A word of caution: Wilson did not use 6061-T6 or any corrosion resistant
aluminum alloy and the beam had to be destroyed to get it apart. If it is
not used near salt water, no problem. I wish I still had it!

Hal  K3AB  ex-K4GFI