Rohn RTP self-supporting towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn RTP self-supporting towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 01:17:25 -0500

>Anyone have any data on the new Rohn RTP towers for amateur use...
>
>Whats a 100 70mph, 30 ft^2 cost?
>
>Three or four legs?
>
>Are these just repackaged commerical towers?
>
>Any feel for installed cost vs say, a run of 55?

Mike --

     I'm not familiar with a Rohn RTP tower and  I've installed everything
they make at one time or another.

   If you're referring to the SSV type, it's a 3-legged self supporter
that'll go to 300 feet.  I think 100 of moderate capacity is around $4-5K.  I
don't know what a repackaged commercial tower would be but they have made an
accessory shelf and top bearing plate for the SSV to make it more suitable
for hams.

     The SSV comes in 20 foot sections and is a big erector set.  You
assemble them on the ground and have a crane come in and stack them.  Figure
3-4 hours per section and 2-3 hours of crane time to stack them.  You'll need
a rattle gun (electric impact wrench) to tighten everything up.

     Call Rohn with any questions (309-697-4400) and get a catalog while
you're at it.   Dana Lemmerman can answer your questions and give you a price
on it.  TOWER TECH has the catalogs for $5.00 also.

73,  Steve  K7LXC